Sunday, September 06, 2026

US Voted No on New UN Equal Area Map

The US was the only country to vote no on this equal area map, which Africans rightly consider the map to more just in showing the continent's true size.

The US often votes no on seemingly obvious issues, like a UN resolution affirming that access to food is a fundamental human right. 180 countries voted in favor. Only the US and Israel voted no.

The UN identified "the right to safe and clean drinking water and sanitation as a human right that is essential for the full enjoyment of life and all human rights." The US abstained from voting.

The US is not a member of the International Criminal Court (ICC). In fact they are now saying they will try to dismantle it.

And on and on. The US has, over the decades, very often voted against what seems to clearly be in the best interest of the world and also of Americans. It's embarrassing and infuriating.

The United Nations General Assembly voted to adopt a new world map that reflects countries’ true relative sizes, after African nations urged the UN to right a centuries-old wrong.

[image or embed]

— CNN (@cnn.com) 8:01 PM · Sep 4, 2026

9 comments:

Layzej said...

"in fact they are now saying they will try to dismantle it." - that pronoun "they" wrt the USA, written by a US citizen - it's puzzling.

Newspapers do something similar. They write about "Trump’s attacks on Iran." There is no ownership. The US attacked Iran. Trump is merely the man they elected to lead them.

Ok. Rant over. I know that you didn't want any of this.

Blah.

David Appell said...

I wrote "they" instead of "we" because I don't feel the least bit connected to the Trump administration. I doubt many who did not vote for him do. Especially him. In other words, I'm ashamed and embarrassed by my federal government.

David Appell said...

L, do you personally agree with everything your government does? Do you always say "we" instead of "they?"

Layzej said...

No offence intended. I get it. You currently have your boot to our throat and it makes it difficult for me to speak on the matter.

Layzej said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Layzej said...

My apologies.

David Appell said...

Thanks, but you don't have to apologize. It was a fair question.

David Appell said...

Layzej wrote:
"No offence intended. I get it. You currently have your boot to our throat and it makes it difficult for me to speak on the matter."

I understand. I think. I'm not in your shoes. I hate, hate, hate how Trump is treating Canada. It's mean and cruel and stupid and counterproductive, and I've been impressed with how Harper has responded and is responding. It makes Americans look like cruel, arrogant a-holes. I fondly hope that a Democrat wins the presidency in 2028 and we can begin to unwind all this animosity. I realize it will probably take a lot of time, if ever. Trump is (I believe) a singularly horrible human, man, American and president, dangerously mentally ill, and I can't understand why he is doing this. He's also deeply stupid--he thinks our trade deficit with Canada means we're losing money. He simply cannot and will not learn differently. His stupidity and narcissism make him dangerous and he's hurting so many people. It's exhausting and every day I wake up and hope he's no longer here.

I'm sure this doesn't help. Personally, none of this will ever change my opinions of Canada and Canadians. I think it's a wonderfully progressive, decent, good country. In the mid-90s I spent almost a year working closely with a team of Canadians building a cross-border 800 service, and I traveled there a lot and they traveled here. I got along well with everyone, had some good friendships and respected them all. (They treated us to some good dinners too, as did we to them.) Every one of them was a fantastic person, polite and interesting and smart, and a joy to work with.

I'm sorry all this is happening. I'm truly sorry it hurts. I'm sorry Trump is ruining America's name (even worse than it was up until him). I'm interested in your prospective. I'm happy you've been such a good reader all these years. I hope politics doesn't come between us.

Layzej said...

Thanks David. I know it's not all Americans.