Thursday, September 13, 2012

Photos from WHOI

I'm in Woods Hole, Massachusetts for the week, hearing lots of good presentations by WHOI scientists, seeing their labs and equipment, and talking with them about their research.

I don't have time to write much now, but here are some pictures from the week:

What is this multi-wire thing on the back of a boat in Falmouth Harbor?


 WHOI has their own CAT scan machine for large marine animal autopsies:


Marine animal field autopsy kit:


The passenger sphere from the ALVIN deep sea submersible (goes down to 4,500 m; once found a hydrogen bomb lost off Spain; discovered black smokers; investigated the sunk Titanic; is being retired);


New ALVIN Titanium sphere (will go down to 6,500 m):


Sign onboard ship for those about to enter ALVIN:


Sea anemones used in genetic research:


Martha's Vineyard:


Something next to someone's driveway in Falmouth:


4 comments:

Vinny Burgoo said...

The thing in the top picture is a seagull scarer.

David Appell said...

Thank you! I have been thinking about this for nearly two weeks.

Here it is:
http://www.stopbirdspestcontrol.co.uk/Daddy-Long-Legs-Bird-Scarer-%60Spider%60---1.2m-diameter/13.htm

Vinny Burgoo said...

It's been driving me nuts. My nautical brother put me out of my misery.

David Appell said...

Vinny, you saved me a winter of ruminating on this question...and I am a *very* good ruminator. Thanks.