I learned algebra 55 years ago and yet I've never come across this:
Did you know this is true? I never came across a time I had to use his, but it's still a marvelous formula. Proof is by induction. I'm not going to repeat it here. You can ask any AI, or crunch through all the algebra yourself if you need to.
I'm amazed I never came across this before.
-=-=-
When I got to sixth grade I started to learn algebra, 12 yo, and my father would help me with my homework in the evenings at the kitchen table. But it wasn't long before he couldn't help anymore, so he ended his assistance. Also about that time he bought a chess set and taught me how to play. It had a missing rook so he got the set for cheap; we used an upside-down bolt for the rook. Within just a few days I started to beat him, then always beat him, then we stopped playing. I think this was the beginning of the decline of our relationship, which was never the same again. Years later we ended up estranged for 40 years, until he died--not over algebra or chess, but over how he abused my mother and how he treated/abused his children. Just the boys I think, and then not often. But I think it started with algebra.
No comments:
Post a Comment