Friday, May 09, 2008

My Carbon Footprint

I calculated my carbon footprint with Carbon Footprint, and came out with 6.1 mt CO2/yr (mt=metric ton=1000 kg). I'm happy with this. I don't see how I can possibly get it much lower, unless I were not to fly at all (at present I only fly about once a year), which would save me about 1 mt/yr.
  • average American = 20.4 mt/yr
  • average for industrial nations = 11 mt/yr
  • worldwide average = 4 mt/yr
  • to combat climate change, the worldwide average needs to be 2 mt/yr
Let's repeat just one more time: we are not going to solve global warming by living like primitive people. It requires changes in technology.

1 comment:

eredux said...

Check out this US Carbon Footprint Map, an interactive United States Carbon Footprint Map, illustrating Greenest States to Cities. This site has all sorts of stats on individual State & City energy consumptions, demographics and much more down to your local US City level...

http://www.eredux.com/states/