Will Alberta leave Canada? It's fossil fuels vs emissions cutbacks. Conservatives vs Liberals. Extraction vs conservation. Pipelines vs climate action. Cowboy hats vs toques. But Alberta has no coastline. Support for independence is only 25% to 33%. Ballot question 10 on October 19th will ask if the government should begin the process of preparing for a second, legally binding vote on separatism. Could Alberta be appeased if those in Ottawa allow a pipeline to the coast of British Columbia, carrying about 1 million barrels a day. (About 1% of global oil consumption; lots of carbon dioxide when burned, ~400,000 t CO2 per day.) Weird situation. Canada is a leader in per capita carbon emissions--hey man, it gets cold up there--but will give up on strong emissions from Alberta. The environment rarely wins.
In general I'm in favor of separatist movements. Smaller governments are better than larger governments, I believe. The only time I've ever talked to a state representative was when I wrote to one in New Hampshire about an obscure topic. He called me and we talked for an hour. But then, New Hampshire has the largest state legislature in the country with 400 members, about 1 representative for every 3200 citizens. I think that's a good ratio. I'd like to see the US divided up too. Why is liberal Oregon held hostage to the demands of red southern states with their very conservative, unreasonable policies? I think it's inevitable the US cracks up further down the timeline of our obvious decline.
In the Pacific Northwest here there's talk about a country called Cascadia, but it's only manned, as far as I can tell, by political kooks and malcontents. Well meaning, but a little out there. Nothing that could possibly gain political traction.
So I kind of hope Alberta secedes. (I guess. It's really none of my business.) Then maybe Quebec. Then maybe Texas. Then maybe Cascadia.
No comments:
Post a Comment